1. Mark Jennison
  2. Shade 3D
  3. Saturday, October 25 2014, 11:17 AM
  4.  Subscribe via email
I'm a new user and still trying to get to grips with moving around the viewports when modelling. For more complex shapes I like using the Perspective viewport. Whilst I am able to rotate and zoom easily, I don't seem to be able to scroll without using the scroll icon in the top right corner of the Viewport, which to be honest I find annoying.

I see that the Figure menu has the option 'Figure Window Manipulation > Scroll Mode', but this doesn't seem to work in the Perspective Viewport?

Can anyone offer a solution or advice?

Thanks

Mark
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Stefan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Mark,

what i find very useful is to use "Fit to Selection" in the Aggregate:Camera palette, when working on polygons in a mesh. It zooms in centered and stays also centered when rotating around. Hope this is helpful for you too, in the 3D viewport.

Regards
Stefan
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Shade 3D
  3. # 1
Ben Clifford Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Using the fit to selection option is a cool option, I didn't know that one, I will in future. It fixes many of the headaches I've had when modelling in shade. :)

You can also set a shortcut for scrolling. You need to a map shortcut keys for camera->eye & target (scroll camera) and camera->eye (rotate).

This will enable you to toggle between them without touching the viewport icons. It's still annoying, but it is better than using the mouse when you're modelling.

Figure window->scroll mode doesn't seem to work. This would be a more ideal solution as I imagine it would only activate when you hold the key down, which is more natural.

I think shade will always find it tough to find an audience until it at least has the option to function like maya etc, which is a shame, as otherwise it is mostly excellent.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Shade 3D
  3. # 2
Philip Myers Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Ben Clifford wrote:

Using the fit to selection option is a cool option, I didn't know that one, I will in future. It fixes many of the headaches I've had when modelling in shade. :)

You can also set a shortcut for scrolling. You need to a map shortcut keys for camera->eye & target (scroll camera) and camera->eye (rotate).

This will enable you to toggle between them without touching the viewport icons. It's still annoying, but it is better than using the mouse when you're modelling.

Figure window->scroll mode doesn't seem to work. This would be a more ideal solution as I imagine it would only activate when you hold the key down, which is more natural.

I think shade will always find it tough to find an audience until it at least has the option to function like maya etc, which is a shame, as otherwise it is mostly excellent.

I have to agree I find the navigation very lacking.
I am far from an expert and have only used a couple of 3D Programmes, and find Shade is the only programme that doesn't seem to have the same navigation as Maya or the other software's even give the option to set it up.
I have looked in the Shortcut's menu to try and map a key for panning and I cannot even find the word "Pan" in the menus, I am not saying it's not there but I haven't found it.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Shade 3D
  3. # 3
Ben Clifford Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
When you are setting a shortcut in shade, camera->eye & target is the equivalent to pan. It's not a bad way of describing the way the camera moves, but it isn't helpful for general navigation imo. Pan, rotate and zoom are pretty much a standard from what I've seen.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Shade 3D
  3. # 4
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.

Recent Discussions

Dungeon Depths Volume 1 RPG Series of 3D Models on Renderosity
995 Hits
Posted on Saturday, April 10 2021, 06:29 AM
Elven Village Volume 3 3D Model Series on Renderosity
4733 Hits
Posted on Saturday, March 20 2021, 05:39 AM
Treasure Hunter's SILKYPIX Series of Tutorials for SILKYPIX DS 10 Series
1746 Hits
Posted on Friday, October 09 2020, 05:58 AM
TB Toon series of 3D Models Now Available on Renderosity
6563 Hits
Posted on Wednesday, February 24 2021, 07:04 AM
Bible 3D Toon Samson for Poser & DAZ Studio Available
4552 Hits
Posted on Saturday, February 13 2021, 05:06 PM
Special 3D Model Releases on Renderosity for 2021
2216 Hits
Posted on Friday, January 22 2021, 04:35 PM
NORAD Tracks Santa 2020 is now live. Track Santa December 24 to 25.
817 Hits
Posted on Thursday, December 24 2020, 04:43 PM